Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Observatory

For quite a while, I've had an RP planned. Now that I'm actually making the place... Well, I'm UBER excited, and loving every moment of this. So, I figured I'd write a little bit of feeling for the place... Specifically, the report on the last experiment.




Static cleared and gave way to a face, looking into the camera of the computer. After glancing toward the door, the face relaxed slightly, and began to speak.

"Forget the intro stuff, this is probably my last report. I'm in my quarters, it's the only place where I'm safe. At least... I hope so."

After pausing to listen and then gulping, the man continued.

"Our final experiment worked... But too well. We wanted to make an invisible assassin, who couldn't be detected except by the trail it left. I can't explain the science behind it, but it worked! After hundreds of experiments on plants, animals, even inanimate objects, we had to take the leap. We expected the subject to die, all the animals had died and returned to our vision, but..."

The man paused again, recollecting his thoughts.

"I don't know, they did something to him. You just can't trust anyone anymore. He was on death row, he was going to die, but... I don't know, we didn't find out until it was too late. Who knew that the formula could increase human strength by at least three hundred percent? After initial injection, he broke into convulsions, as his muscles grew and began to pull his bones in ways that weren't intended.

But that wasn't all. He began to fade from our visible spectrum... It was expected, and he was in isolation. But then, we saw the walls being punctured and ripped... No human has that strength, and we can't explain how the effects were so extreme. Then he was gone. We entered a lock down, but we couldn't find him. Nothing happened for a few days... We figured he had died somewhere... But we couldn't have been more wrong."

The man stopped to rub his forehead. His eyes were glazed over, and he had the appearance of a person who hadn't slept in a week, something that either might have been true, or compounded by stress.

"Yesterday, we found one of our scientists missing. We went to his quarters up on F03... I can't begin to describe it. We all knew what had happened. We locked down F00, where I am now, but that only lasts for so long. People began to see things. Apparently, the formula became some sort of a toxic venom that mutates the victims of the initial subject, provided they aren't killed. Apparently, the subject still has sentience of sort, as it's showing enough intelligence to leave it's victims alive, in general. The good news was that the invisibility had worn off... But that was also bad news.

It was disgusting. Disfigured. Where bones had once held a form, stronger muscles had torn them apart, and part of the formula increased regeneration, until the victim was healed into a twisted mockery of it's original form. We got trapped in the lift as they descended, and only I was able to escape, but they are coming to get me. All I can say is, learn from our mistake. Never let this happen again. We've shot it, shocked it, cut it, no matter what we do, it won't die. None of them will. Never let thi-"

A burst of static erupts in the recording, and the screen goes black. No more was heard afterward... Not even now, fifty years later.

No comments:

Post a Comment