I think the biggest issue with picking up traveling companions while on the road is the fact that you don't know them until it's too late. Take the woman I had met. So far, we had insulted each other, cursed, yelled, screamed, and whined to each other about each other. And now we were eating together. It made no sense. Yet, it happened.
I had a bowl of soup, and she had a crust of bread. I sat on one side of the table, and she on the other. And we watched each other. And the soup grew cold, but still we watched each other. And the bread grew stale, and still we watched each other. And we watched.
Then the tension broke, for I had to sneeze, and had to turn away. So I did, and I sneezed, and when I turned back, she had begun to eat. Determined not to be left behind, I began to eat to, but I soon realized that cold soup without bread was a little... Annoying. And, apparently, she wanted something to go with her bread. Let me see if I can recall the conversation...
"Excuse me..." Said I.
"What?" Said she.
"I'll share my soup if you'll share your bread." Was my response.
"I don't know... Ok, let's do it!" Was hers.
And that was the conversation. Little did we suspect how this would grow into being traveling partners. The constant give and take nature of our relationship, bourne of two wanderers on the street, who unluckily happened to bump into each other. Now, would it be odd if it seemed as if it were planned or something? Perhaps that's just the effect of it after being written upon paper.
Alas, I can't write endlessly, and I must bring the chapter to a close. So, allow me to make it brief.
Food.
Talk.
Walk.
Inn.
Sleep.
Separate Rooms. (I know what you were thinking there, and I must admit, I'm surprised. Why, your accusations have no basis! But, truth be told, it wasn't entirely excluded. So allow me to say, there was nothing between us. Well, yet...)
Something happened to your poor brain. I think some horizon was suddenly lit or something.
ReplyDeleteI almost want back your lack of...whatever it is you were lacking. It made your writing slightly more...mysterious? No, vague. Vague is the word I'm looking for here. Your writing was more elusive; the details weren't always put out there. Occasionally implied, rarely expounded upon, but still somehow I sensed their presence. >.>
Of course, this is purposely written the way it is, so why should I even critique?
Keep it up; it makes me laugh. Even if it's in a weird sort of way. XD