Have I told you how impressive a good meal of steak and mashed potatoes can be? It's quite impressive. The raw taste and power of the steak, with the right touch of butter and salt cooked on, added with the smooth texture of the potatoes, complementing and empowering the others abilities...
Er, anyway, back to the story. Yellow slime, rolling downhill toward us.
I had to jump out of the way. I knew it. But I also knew I would be too slow. I was carrying all the packs of supplies, and they weighed me down. I could drop them and get out, but then I would face a fury worse than that of the underworld, for I would be faced with a woman's scorn. And that would be worse than the slime.
I stood paralyzed in fear, fearing that this would be my end, no matter what. My life began to flash by...
In those few moments, I saw more than I had ever realized I had seen before, but I had, for it was my past, and therefore obviously seen and experienced.
It all started with that wonderful experience of being near water. Wonderful stuff. Smooth, rolling, shining, yet ever so clear. Cool, or hot, and always refreshing.
Sadly, that's all I remembered of that, was the water itself and it's wonderful look and feel. Moving on...
There was also myself eating.
The tiny blue slime event.
The green slime event.
Bullies at the hall where the locals taught us stuff so we could know what we needed.
That girl who had sat in front of me, and never knew I existed.
The time I threw a rock up in the air to watch it fly away. That one ended badly.
Alas that I can't remember the rest of my memories, but they were all there. Every one. Down to my most embarrassing moments, not retold here, because they are too embarrassing.
Then, things changed. As the yellow slime came barreling down the hill toward me, and I was frozen in petrification of fear, a hole opened in the ground, and swallowed the slime. A voice cheered, and we soon found ourselves encountered by a most interesting man.
He was clad in rags, with a large beard that extended down to his knees, dirt and dust dropping off behind him as he approached. His feet were bare, and he held a sharpened stick in his hand.
"TAKE THAT!" He yelled.
"And you take this!" Came the response from a feminine voice. It was then that I realized I had yet to learn her name, but then had been a bad time to do so. She had managed to pull a massive shield from somewhere... I think it had been on her back, but I had been to absorbed in my own thoughts to notice. Anyway, she swung it with all her strength, knocking the newcomer into me, and we both fell, myself beginning to roll down the hill, bouncing off rocks and ending by slamming into a tree.
When I regained consciousness, I heard the laughing of two people. The sun had long since set, and apparently lots of things had changed. From random acts of violence to quite the sentiment of comradery, I had no clue what had happened. So, I rose and began my painful trek back up the hill, for I was quite bruised and still tangled in the straps to the packs I had before held, but was now held by.
No comments:
Post a Comment