So, I've never written with characters having unique super powers before. So, I'd thought, hey, why not try it? But, when I look, you always run into some weird things...
Take Superman. He's got TONS of strengths, but his weakness is only related to his strength in that it takes them away. Spiderman would be less effective in a non-urban environment, but that's got nothing to do with his power. Shouldn't the cause for strength be the cause for weakness? Everywhere a person succeeds is an opening for that person to fall. It doesn't mean they will, but the opening is there. X-men had an interesting view, with genetic mutations causing their powers, and them being shunned by humanity for them. But, then again, mutations are so abundant that there is no real special thing about them. You got a power, cool. Here are 15 other guys that have semi-close powers. I mean, come on... Shouldn't a power have the ability to take something from a person and use it against them?
If I were to create a power, it would be the walker. A person who lives every 24 hour day as two 12 hour days, the second being a repeat of the first. They do not dream, so they lack the same connection with their subconscious as others. Depending what they do in the first 12 hour period, they will see how things react, and then change their decisions and actions on the second 12 hour day, this time to permanent effect. They will be painfully aware of mistakes they make, but feel invulnerable because of the ability to fix most of them. However, while in the short run, they would be able to avoid problems, They would run into serious problems in the long term, where stakes would be higher. The power would take as much, if not more, out of the person as it put in.
That's my idea on it. What y'all think?
And, maybe once I begin to work on Equinox again, then I'll be able to freely do other things, as long as it's a main focus.
Good point.
ReplyDeleteI find that actually FINDING a super power that hasn't already been come up with is difficult. There's always one of the other somewhere...and you end up feeling very generic. xD Of course, in my story I don't consider any of their "powers" as "Super-powers" because the genre is not super-human crime-fighter, it's elves/mermen/humans/fantasy universe. XD
You're also stressing a deeper super-hero here, which is a rarity imo. I find that deeper super-heroes are cool sometimes, and definitely a good thing, but when the storyline is so long and drawn-out (Like our lovely American comics (and sometimes Japanese!) like to do) it becomes a bit of a strain on the mind to continue feeling attached to that superheroes problem. I get to the point of-"Yeah, yeah, you're so stressed out and ect, ect...big decisions, whatever..."
So a hero with more depth would have to be part of a shorter, if not much better put-together storyline. Whoever who calls themselves a good writer would throw a well-developed, understandable and deep character into a storyline with a lame plot that has no development? Not many. XD
Now, lame plot w/ terrible character development is what I'm used to. So I typically go thumbs down with many comic-book superheroes and I've never seen a superhero movie (Batman, Spiderman, ect, ect.).
At any rate, that's why I have enjoyed Teen Titans. The right amount of development, along with the right amount of nonsense and wasted screen time. XD
My favorite character of all remains Robin, though. He doesn't have superpowers. XD
Though, in TT, their superpowers do become their weaknesses in some parts. Beast Boy has a primal beast awakened within him that hurts himself and his friends, while yet protecting Raven.
Raven has difficulties because her powers are fueled by emotions; therefore she much control her emotions. It leads most others to think she's creepy and un-feeling, which isn't true. She's a character that gets focused on pretty heavily, due to all her depth.
I do like your idea, though. I wonder how you came up with it! (HOW DOES HE GET ALL THESE GOOD IDEAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!) XP It seems like it would work...it's complicated, but cool. People would enjoy trying to figure it all out. It could create a storyline with many twists and layers, different subplots that are hard to identify. *sigh* XD
-Argentia Krystofel ♥ (Sry for long comment!)