Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Lets Write a Single-scene Play!

So, a person has a school project in writing a short play. They send it to me, and I decide to write my own. 1 Scene, more emphasis on a certain concept than an actual story. Enjoy, and comment on whatever you want. Like, what that concept is, my word choice, EtC...


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


*Darkness had folded over the field, bringing with it a silence except for the wind, gently running through the grass near where the traveler's sat.*

What is the purpose of our travels? We go from place to place, but I have yet to know the reason?

*The speaker's voice had a low, contemplative tone. He looked up around him, at the other travelers. The only girl of the party replied, looking the first traveler in the eye.*

"Why, you ask? We go to seek out things that we can't find at home, or we go to find that place that is home. We go to find that which we have been missing. I am seeking for a husband, lost from ear during the wars, but known to be alive. Maybe he lost his way? Should I sit in worry all the day long? Nay, I'd rather search for him."

*She sighed with contentment, looking back down at the necklace in her hand, a moment of her lost love, and an inspiration to go on. The first speaker nodded kindly in understanding, then went on.*

So that is your story. We now know your goal, but what of mine? I have yet to find out what my search is for.

*The muscular, heavyset man who had been leaning against the tree spoke, his voice harsh and rough.*

"I seek to find the fugitive from the law. He wronged me, a deep grievous wound that will take time to heal... Never will I let him hurt another, if it be within my power. Some call it revenge, but revenge is a fruit of evil. I do not seek revenge, I do not seek to regain what I have lost and fulfill some blood lust. What I seek for is to protect others from that which has befallen me."

*Before the first speaker could talk, the last of the travelers spoke, his thin frame lounging on the ground, his voice loud and waxy, his type fitting in with the smooth talker.*

"Oh, Love and Justice are amiable goals, but in the end, you can't trade them for that which you need. I seek for money, but I am not a thief. If I wanted pure riches, then I would steal that which I need; No, I am a man of show. I have talents in many ways, one of which would be to sing at the pubs and please the peoples ears; I crack the jokes, and please peoples wit; I am the one who tells the great stories, and fill others need for adventure, while they stay safe in the comfort of their bar stools... Ah, the cheers the resound, and the sound of a coin in my pocket."

*The lithe man man humming to himself as the breeze in the grass sang in his ear. The first man began to pace...*

Love... Justice... Wealth and Fame. I seek these things too, but only by the wayside. In talking to you, I have found that for which I seek. I seek to see people, not just outside, but within as well. And all I need are companions such as you, with their own stories to tell...But not only you, for all the world has a story to tell. And I am the one who seeks to hear them.

3 comments:

  1. The concepts are interesting, and very deep, as usual. Your example of the different reasons people will do things is good. I like the role of the second traveler who speaks because I can associate with him better than the others. Love, I have never felt like that. Wealth and Fame I desire to avoid.

    Other than that...the only thing I see wrong with your descriptions is you out and tell us who each character is. I.e.-Before the first speaker could talk, the last of the travelers spoke, his thin frame lounging on the ground, his voice loud and waxy, his type fitting in with the smooth talker.-We don't need to know that he is the smooth talker. We should figure that out by hearing him speak and watching him move. :)

    Still, a good concept, bro.
    -Argent ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe it would be obvious, but... That's how it came, and I didn't bother to change it.

    Thing is, you don't always have to be able to associate with something to write it. I don't really know greed too much, but I know a bit about contentment. And, whats the opposite? Yeah, you can't always look in the mirror to get the right role, but you can get a basic frame to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good point. And I am not saying a writer has to feel what their characters do to get a good idea of it. What I am saying is that the reader typically associates with characters, no matter what the writer intended.

    When you meet a person you don't know you automatically look for similar ideas, opinions, likes and dislikes in the person. Yes, you may still befriend them be they similar or not, but you still look for similarities.
    Or, for instance, when you're in a place that you don't know very well, you are drawn to a familiar face or object.

    That's slightly what a reader does when reading something with characters. They lean towards a character that is like them or has the same opinions. ^.^

    -Argent

    ReplyDelete