Orange lighting peeked between the buildings, a dark wall of shadow just beneath it. Gris' gaze pierced the view before him, yet saw nothing. He was leaned back, his arms spread out on the bench, his gaze in the distance.
"Hey, I'm talking to you." Sylvia's voice was raised, but Gris still heard nothing from this world. "You'd better snap out of it before that bus arrives..."
"I'm fine... Really... Y'know, contrast is a beautiful thing. Two opposite extremes, intensified by their being put together..." Gris' gaze remained fixed, his face emotionless.
"True... but what about context? You can't randomly break out of the normal flow of things just to make a point."
"Why not? It's well known that catching peoples attention is a major part of conveying a message. By breaking the normal flow of things, you create a small rift that people can't ignore."
"So, to emphasize butterflies, I should write first about rats?" Sylvia's tone was slightly confused.
"Of course not... it's more a matter of pointing out the differences. Take happiness. To convey the meaning better, you won't write about sadness. But, you will point out the absence of non-happy things. 'He had no regrets.' is a common phrase in stuff, often when a person has gained what they've looked for all their lives. It's not about what the opposite is... it's about what the subject isn't."
"That may be how you do it but... I like to build to a point by continuity, rather than emphasis. Sometimes, I have to be shorter to get the point across, but it works."
"Granted. And I'm not saying that you have to write my way. However you can express your meaning, it's fine, as long as you're expressing it clearly. Which you do."
"Thanks. You express yours well too. But sometimes it seems to be deeper than it should. Maybe it's just me, but I'd try not to get so deep. You only have so much space in a ne-"
The hissing of brakes interrupted Sylvia. Gris stood, grabbing the bag that had been sitting beneath the bench.
"And now it begins..."
He followed Sylvia into the bus.
Been sitting in drafts for a week or 2, so...
ReplyDeleteHope y'all like, and might try to post another soon. Sorry for lack of activity.
S'okay, creativity is one of those things that typically comes (in it's most intense state) on a whim.
ReplyDeleteI really look forward to more of this; it has me interested. I want to learn more about the characters and how you'll handle them. Especially Gris, given that he already has some background exploited in our RP; I'm curious how you're going to deal with that when the time comes.