Saturday, July 31, 2010

All the Worlds a setting :: Part 2

"Alright people, listen up. Last weeks issue was a little low on sales, so we need to push our efforts up. Also, due to our proximity to the border, We've got a special privilege to report on the growing conflict. Remember, everything is to be written neutrally, with rock hard facts only. Any opinions and it'll become propaganda. That's it. Sylvia, Gris, my office."

The balding executive editor motioned towards the door at the end of the room, and Gris began to push his way through the room to get to it, surrounded by the noises of an average newspaper writers office. It took a while to reach the room, and when he got there, Sylvia was already there. The editor motioned towards a vacant seat for Gris, then waited for the teen to seat himself before beginning.

"Last week's issues did attract attention on you're collaboration, despite the low sales. Sylvia's cheerful, hopeful, and overall bright natured outlook with Gris' somewhat darker, realistic and slightly cynical perspective... Very good..." As any good editor, his language was varied with hyperbole and exaggeration. "Anyway, it's within our rights to send some reporters to the outlying towns already affected by enemy occupation. I'm not asking for you guys to go into a danger zone. We don't want war stories. I can get those by the dozen, if I need to. I want you guys telling us what the people are feeling from the war closer to it. Will you do it?"

A silence fell for a few seconds, Sylvia looking at Gris. She could tell he was hesitant, and he'd rather not have to go to the border. She could also see his desire to force himself to go, but he couldn't find the words to use at the moment...

"I think I can speak for Gris as well. We'll take it. As long as there is no chance of us getting caught in something beyond us, it should be fine."

Gris nodded in agreement to Sylvia's statements. The editor barely noticed Gris, taking the acceptance of one as acceptance of both.

"Alright. In that case, go pack some bags. I'm providing transport, but things aren't cheap. Scavenge what you need from your desks and stuff, then be sure to catch the bus by 7 later. The trip will be overnight, and rather out of the way. Only way to keep it safe. But, you'll get there. 1 report a week isn't too much to ask is it?" The break was only long enough for the editor to catch another breath.
"Good. You've got the rest of the day off. Now get going. You're obstructing the news."

Gris stood and opened the door, letting a secretary in, and Sylvia out, followed by himself. 30 minutes of monotonous scavenging for notebooks, pens, the occasional pencil, and they found themselves walking on the sidewalk. Gris couldn't help but notice Sylvia's constant observation of him. It didn't anger him, but it did give him cause for concern.

"Is everything alright? I didn't say anything at the pub that I shouldn't have, did I?"

"No, it's just that your so reserved. I'm wondering if you're alright. I mean, what happened to you're typical happiness, joy, your veal for things?"

"As a man once said, 'There is a time for grief, a time for joy. A time for peace, and a time for war.' Now, I may have gotten it wrong a little, but the basic Idea I'm getting at is that I'm very affected by whats around me. And that's tension. I don't want to run away from the job, but I would like to get off to a hill somewhere, park it beneath the shade of a tree, and just watch life passing me by."

"Wouldn't life be great if we could all do that? But where's the fun? Life's a big challenge. Reach outta that shell and have a little fun every once in a while. Or not. You're perfectly entitled to both. But, by the time we get where we're going, you'd better be ready to talk to people again. Otherwise, you'll find yourself out of a job. And I'm not quitting for your sake."

1 comment:

  1. Cool. Interesting, actually. Of course, I've already read so much of Gris that his behavior didn't specifically interest me. It would interest anyone else, though, who hasn't read the rp. Because of that, most of my attention was focused in on Sylvia. I think I should have a drawing of her at some point, but it will take more reading.

    ReplyDelete